Welded Welding Cart
Media Lab Shop Monitor
I made this cart during low-traffic hours of my shift as MIT Media Lab ACT Shop Monitor.
We acquired a few smaller welders and wanted to put them on a mobile cart to potentially support larger projects that might need more flexibility in welding.
The cart holds a TIG Welder, a MIG welder, a plasma cutter, nitrogen and argon tanks, along with plenty of space to wrap all the necessary clamps and cables. It was designed and made during the low-traffic parts of three five-hour shifts.
$0 Secret Santa Sledgehammer
One December night I realized I forgot to make a gift for my friend group's secret santa the next day. The next morning at 8am I woke up and went to the MIT Media Lab ACT Shop, a mixed media and welding shop where I work, and decided to make a sledgehammer. I finished 5 hrs later.
Welded tube construction weighing 13.5 lbs and measuring 4.5ft long.
- Solid steel billet head, cut using manual plasma cutter
- Brushed finish achieved with belt sander and copious amounts of scotch-brite
- Sandblast-etched face text using a vinyl mask
- Lots of easily-broken 2x4 scraps because that's fun I guess
- One very sore right arm from scotch-briting and angle-grinding (I really need to get more ambidextrous)
2.12 Introduction to Robotics
I was a member of a 10 person class project team tasked with delivering a serial elastic actuated robot to safely help hemiplegic patients with everyday tasks. I was responsible with the design of the serial elastic actuator, a high powered motor connected serially to a custom torsional spring and instrumented by two high-resolution encoders.